So spring is here, I have a 40k bike commute a couple of times a week, and I'm burning through podcasts faster than people can talk. I figured I'd share some of my favourites, and ask if anyone has any recommendations of stuff I'm missing?
- Welcome to Night Vale - duh. I've even written fic. Your regular biweekly community radio show from hell. Or something not entirely unlike it, however cozy it may sound.
- Alice Isn't Dead - by the same people who brought you Night Vale, except with less silliness and much tighter storytelling. Season 2 just started yesterday.
- No Such Thing As A Fish - the weekly podcast by the QI factcheckers. Lots of useless knowledge and banter - basically QI with more focus and (mostly) without the celebrity guests.
- Faculty of Horror - in which two Canadian horror fans offer feminist discourse on classic and new horror movies, eh.
- My Dad Wrote A Porno - Jamie's dad spends his retirement writing very bad self-published erotica. Jamie and his friends read it out loud and offer commentary. "He gently grabbed her cervix - " "NO HE DID NOT!"
- You Must Remember This - "Secret or forgotten histories of Hollywood's first century", which doesn't mean gossip but rather very clever in-depth looks at, for instance, McCarthy's blacklist or how Charles Manson fits into pop culture. The current series is called "Dead Blondes".
- How Did This Get Made? - bad movies picked apart by incredulous comedians. Basically Mystery Science Theater 3000 with swearwords and big-budget movies.
- Infinite Monkey Cage - BBC show about science, basically featuring all the QI guests that don't get to be on No Such Thing As A Fish.
- StarTalk Radio - the US equivalent, where Neil Degrasse Tyson, Bill Nye and others talk about just how we're supposed to go forward as a species.
- Rex Factor - a historian and his friend go through all the monarchs of England and Scotland from the viking age up to Elizabeth II. And rate, review and rank them. If you've ever wondered how Cnut the Great would stack up to William IV, this is for you.